Fall 2019 Storm King Trip
Time & Location
About the Event
Each year, families and friends in Venni, Terra, and Roberts Field take a trip to Storm King, an outdoor museum in the Hudson Valley that explores the connections between sculpture, people, and nature.
The trip always provides an artistic, adventurous, and joyous community experience for the Studio children, teachers, and families. At Storm King, we bond and celebrate, witnessing the height of the fall and spring seasons’ nature, expanse, and magical structures.
Below you will find a helpful guide to important aspects of the day’s events. If you have any further questions not addressed in our Storm King Guide below, please reach out to Angus Davidson by email.
Visit Storm King's website for more information about the art center.
How to Buy Tickets
Tickets can be purchased on Storm King's website – here! Use the code 'CREATIVEPLAY' at checkout for our discounted rate!
Free – Children age 0–4
$5.00 – Children age 5+
$15.00 – Adults (18–65)
$12.00 – Seniors (65+)
On Driving to Storm King
- All attending children must attend with their own parent or guardian and all families must secure their own transportation.
- Due to SCP and Roberts Field policy and city regulations, the Studio Creative Play and Roberts Field staff cannot transport anyone other than themselves to Storm King.
- It is absolutely necessary that all children attending the trip are in a child safety car seat or booster at all times while being transported.
- Carpooling families are welcome to meet and depart in front of Studio at 7:45am, or leave from other locations.
- It should take no longer than 2 hours to reach Storm King, including a 10-minute rest stop along the way.
- Gates to Storm King Art Center open early for Studio/RFS families at 9:45am – if you arrive before this time, feel free to wait in front of the front gate. Let attendants know that you are with Studio/Roberts Field and they will direct you towards our parking area. We'll meet at 10:00am by the tram departure by the South Parking Lot (see campus map).
On the Day's Activities
Once everyone arrives at Storm King, the day's events begin right away.
We will take a tram ride around the sculpture park immediately after arriving at Storm King.
Please arrive by 10:00am or you may risk missing this important part of the experience. Storm King has many visitors and the tram operations are on a very tight schedule.
We schedule plenty of time for bathroom breaks, roaming and exploring, group activities, and a picnic lunch.
We begin departing from Storm King around 1:30pm. Individual families may decide to remain at the park longer, however, the SCP and RFS staff will leave no later than 1:30pm. We anticipate arriving back in Brooklyn at the Studio no later than 3:30pm. We suggest that all families leave Storm King no later than 2:30pm if they wish to avoid heavy afternoon traffic reentering the city.
All families must provide their own transportation to Storm King. Many of you have asked about rides with other families. We encourage families to arrange car pools with other families. If you would like to be put on a carpool list to offer spots in your car, or to find a family with space in their vehicle, let us know when you sign up. We will post an online bulletin board for families looking to participate in carpools so that families can reach out to one another.
To transport another child, you must have room in your back seat to install a child safety seat or booster. No child may be transported in the front of a vehicle with or without a car seat regardless of whether or not the air bags have been turned off.
On Food, Drink, and Weather
We suggest that you pack as much food and drink as will be necessary for your child for the day trip. There is an outdoor café near the picnic table area that offers a small assortment of food and beverages when open. Please stick with the requested Venni Studio & RFS diet for this field trip.
We suggest that you pack a change of clothes for your child and dress them in layers. Typically, this area of New York can be 10 degrees cooler, and more so with wind.
Studio and Roberts Field School will cancel the Storm King trip in the event that weather conditions become inhospitable for young children and families. Our programming during the day will take place entirely outside, with no available indoor spaces on the Storm King campus as an alternative, so prohibitively cold or rainy weather would necessitate a cancellation. In the event of a cancellation, Studio and Roberts Field School classes would hold regularly-scheduled programming on our school site.